Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Microfictions Two Tiny Halloween Stories

Vampire on 10th street:

There is a vampire who lives on my street.
10th street to be exact just as the age I am today.
I know he is a vampire because I only see him at night once the sun sets.
Once I heard a weird noise outside my window but I was too late.
Tonight is Halloween I know he will come out for sure I shall sit and wait outside my bedroom window.
The clock struck twelve AM there he was in bat form right outside.
"Do you believe?" he asked me.
"yes" I replied.



Jack and Cala:

Happy Halloween Jack-O-Lantern, do you think the kids will belive this year?
Why yes Calabaza I do why they must believe to survive.

I love this little image of a bat from my first story and a pumpkin from my second. Picture by: Elisa Riva 


Authors note:

I was inspired by my latest reading to complete two microfictions based on Halloween. The story that inspired me was titled "The Goblin Town".  In this story, there is a group of men stranded on an island with a group of women. These women end up being goblins and the only men who get to leave this island are the ones who believe. Which lead me to come up with these two very short stories based on this one Jataka Tale. For my first story this week I wanted each sentence to have its own space and keeping in the same moral from the original story. I thought writing it from a child's perspective would be easier to keep it under 100 words as well as staying within the Jataka theme. In my second story, I wanted to try and create a new story from the same Jataka Tale as the first story and challenge myself by making this very short. In this story, I wanted the perspective of someone who lives through this every year. I am interested in hearing which very short story is your favorite.

Bibliography:
Twenty Jataka Tales by Noor Inayat (Khan) Story The Goblin Town (1939) 

1 comment:

  1. Your first story gave me goosebumps! I liked how you wrote in a suspense type of way. It made me want more, like what is going you happen the person. Is the vampire going to hurt them or just want a new friend? I was a little more confused with the second short story. Overall, I enjoyed reading both. Great job!

    ReplyDelete