Monday, March 23, 2020

Reading Notes: Jataka Tales Part A

I choose to study the Jataka Tales this week because I am interested in reading about these different ways animals can fit in these stories. I have yet to write a story that has a viewport between two animals so that something I would like to work on this week.  It would be interesting to write a story between animal charters with their given features. 

The story I was drawn the most to in reading A was The Ox Who Won the Forfeit.  I am drawn to this story immediately because it reminds me of myself and how stubborn I am. In this story, the Ox does not being talked to in a harsh town and being told what to do. Because of his actions his owner loses a bet made. Once his owner understood why he was acting this way he treated the Ox with more respect. 

This is the main takeaway from the story is how communication can help as well as valuing each other. I believe I would be able to create a very good story with the same morals in mind. By creating two animals who have to work together. They would have to do something as a team such as find a meal but relying on both their unique qualities. Then one is trying to belittle the other by saying they do not need his partner because he can do the same and does not see the point of what he is doing. From here the partner would leave and eventually once they figured out they actually need each other to get the job done they can finish as a team again. 

I picture these two animals on the hunt together. Picture from: University of California Libraries


Bibliography: 
Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt The Ox Who Won the Forfeit

No comments:

Post a Comment