Monday, March 9, 2020

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part A


The large amount of ducks is how I see some of the stories we are reading. Picture by: PXFuel

The main thing I noticed while reading all the parts within The Indian Heroes: Mahabharata - was the number of charters. For example, in the story titled The Princes of Elephant City, there were 19 different charters seen within this story. For my stories, I usually like to focus on one or two characters because I have a hard time keeping things consistent between a large number of different characters. I could use this week to really challenge myself to see how well I do add in these vast majority of characters with my own twist on the story. Taking notes on how this author is able to do this within these stories is by introducing each one a little at a time.

One thing I do like about this type of writing by this author is how he introduces all these characters in relation to other characters. For example, " Vichitravirya, who died and left two sons: Dhritarashtra, the older son, who is blind, and his brother Pandu, who becomes king." in this one sentence there are three main characters introduced. He is also able to describe a small amount about each of these charters this is how I would like to add in man charters to my stories as well. It would be very interesting to create an entire story that is primarily based on introducing different charters within a family. Going through the family tree and creating a dialog between the charters as well as a small insert about the character would be fun to create.

Bibliography:  The Indian Heroes: The Princes of Elephant City: Mahabharata written by C. A. Kincaid in 1921

No comments:

Post a Comment