Monday, March 9, 2020

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part B

This is how I picture the forest after it burns itself and grows back. Picture from: Chris Fort

Now that I have gotten to know myself through creative writing a little bit better I am able to create works I truly love and feel inspired by. However, to keep myself inspired I need to be able to try new things while also keeping everything consistent. While looking over the note strategies I saw something that caught my eye, by focusing on the setting. Taking this one step further I thought it would be fun and neat to write about the main setting in all of these stories as it if was a real being. In the stories within the Mahabharata, the forest is the main setting.

The forest is seen in the following stories in part B: 13. THE YEAR OF DISGUISE and 16. DURYODHANA'S DEATH. For the story of The Year of Disguise, the main charters are stuck within the forest for 12 years and later are sentenced to another 12 years within the forest. I could use this story to introduce the forest as the main setting giving it an internal dialogue between the trees and the lake. To expand the different stories I could use the story Duryondhanas Death where he dies in the forest fire. Maybe in this part of the story, the forest wanted him to die for a particular reason so they set themself on fire knowing they would grow back greener and stronger. This would make a really good moral pot of the story by saying sometimes it is healthy to purge the bad things within your life to create a better you so you will be stronger and wiser.

Bibliography: The Indian Heroes: Mahabharata - The Princes of Elephant City by
Author: C. A. Kincaid year 1921 chapter 13: THE YEAR OF DISGUISE and 16: DURYODHANA'S DEATH.

No comments:

Post a Comment