Thursday, March 12, 2020

Week 9 Story: 12 Years

By: Maria Dawson

“WAKE.” Lord Oak spoke to his people in a harsh and short tone to warn others a human was walking through the territory. For years there has been peace between the forest and mankind. However, within the past year, the air has been blowing a different direction, more frigid than usual. This keeps my people on edge whenever we have a new visitor in the woods.

“Oh, be gentle Oak,” said his mate Pine, “they look harmless probably passing through for a drink in the lake”. Mrs. Pine and Oak have been together for centuries building up the forest and keeping it a safe place for all of us. There have been hard times of course but none in my decades nevertheless better to stay safe rather than sorry. In our village, we always keep tabs on who or what is coming near and what their intentions are.  

“Ah. I know these men and their past. I see what their intentions are. Not good” replies Oak. As the four men stop by the lake to set up a camp. “Yessir, this here is a perfect spot. Let the night rejoice and the fires howl” states one of the men wearing a yellow plaid shirt with blue jean standing broad-faced looking in towards the lake. “Boss you sure this lake here won’t stop the fires before we can get the forest clear?” responds a skinny fellow in a brown vest from behind the group.

Nightfall was fast approaching and with it brought back the same northern wind mentioned earlier. Just then the four men started pouring gasoline all over the ground and trees. “Do not panic my people we have been planning this for years trust in me” assures Oak “Fir do you remember how I taught you to contact the lake?”. I shake I hear Lord Oak speak my name “Yes Sir I am ready” I reply confidently.

The four men each light their own match and threw it on the trail they left behind. We wait anxiously to see when Oak will give the signal. Watching as the fire spread fast in towards the trees creating a great smokestack in the sky.

“NOW” yells Oak and at once the forest awakes! I take in water and put the fire out as the Sequoia twins trap in the four criminals.

“You violated out peace treaty men” Oak’s voice bellows throughout the forest “Now I sentence you to twelve years within the forest. You cannot tear down my people to create room for yours. We have come to this agreement long ago, now it is too late. You must learn respect for the trees and the lives we hold within”.  The forest fell quiet and the men knew they were stuck here for 12 long years within the trees.


This is how I picture the forest after it burns itself and grows back. Picture from: Chris Fort

Authors Note: 

For this week I decided to try something new with my writing and focus on one particular setting instead of the plot or a character. I got this idea while I was reading over some note-taking strategies. While I was reading over the stories in the Mahabharata I noticed quite a few stories taking place inside a forest. This is where I drew my inspiration for this week's story. From here I decided to make the forest its own being as if it had thoughts and feelings. I hope you enjoyed my rendition of these two stories!

Bibliography: 
The Indian Heroes: Mahabharata - The Princes of Elephant City by
Author: C. A. Kincaid year 1921 chapter 13: THE YEAR OF DISGUISE and 16: DURYODHANA'S DEATH.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maria! I really enjoyed this story! I liked that you made the trees in the setting your characters because it was a perspective I never really considered. You made the story work with your writing and the relationship between the trees. You can see the commodore among the trees and their goal to protect the forest. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maria! Great job on your story I enjoyed getting to read about the forest--you did a fantastic job of creating your setting. I was not expecting for the trees to be characters. I was disappointed, yet not surprised when the men attempted to burn the forest. I was glad that the trees were able to keep the peace and promise. I didn't feel bad for the men at all! I liked the fantasy aspect of your story--having men interact with things such as trees. Great job, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria,
    Great idea and twist to make the trees characters and have the story from their perspectives. Definitely provides a different view on what is going on. The only other time off the top of my head I really remember trees being actual characters was in the Wizard of Oz with Dorthy plucks an apple off of one of them and then they have an apple fight. Great job!

    ReplyDelete