Sunday, February 2, 2020

Feedback Strategies

Feedback Strategies: Learning as I Go
By Maria Dawson
I loved this picture because it gives ways one can learn. I believe learning throughout our entire life is very important. Picture by: Giulia Forsythe

I am a person that thrives on positive feedback the most and feel like I am not doing a good job when I get any constructive criticism. This is something I am trying to grow through and learn how to do better in the future. I have noticed that I will not even look at the comment to a discussion post just in case someone will not like my work. This is where I want to start on this journey and learn how to effectively take criticism.  

To start this journey of growth I was curious on what was the best way for preschoolers to learn and then maybe I can adapt this into my learning. I read an article by Deborah Farmer Kris titled,  "Preschoolers and Praise: What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow?" In this article, she states to stay away from praises that are easy to give such as a good job or nice work and instead give more constructive and specific feedback. Such as commenting on the way the child was able to do something, for example, saying "You did such a good job helping out with the laundry" or "I am so proud of you for sharing with your brother".  Deborah also talks about how stories and the way we talk to kids will help shape their future. I believe we can use these tactics to anyone at any age to help their growth mindset. 

The other post that caught my eye is by, Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman in an article named,
"Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?". I am curious about this post because my current boss gives us comments at the end of each week during our team meetings and I am wondering if this is helping or hurting us. In this post the authors say "be specific, rather than a general remark of “good job,” and ideally occurs soon after the praise-worthy incident". In my situation, with my boss, she gives us very specific feedback however she waits until the end of the week to give it to us instead of immediately telling us what we did well. Using the tactics described in the article the boss is more likely to come across as if they have their back and truly understand what their workers are going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment