Monday, February 3, 2020

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Part C

46. The Rainy Season

By: Maria Dawson

While looking for images I came across this beautiful painting by Vincent Willem van Gogh named Rain.
 
While reading the stories for part C this week there was one in particular that stood out the most and think I will enjoy writing over this week as well. This is Chapter 46 The Rainy Season by Romesh Dutt (1899) for the first half and Arthur William Ryder (1919) who wrote the poem at the end. It was this poem that drew me into this story the most and I see a lot of potential in it for a writing style I can use in the future. 

The first thing I noticed about this 600-word poem was the structure of it. Each paragraph was comprised of 4 short sentences with about 5 to 7 words in each of these sentences. The rhyming scheme is also something I am very interested in doing and inspired by. In this poem, the second line in each paragraph rhymes with the last line of the paragraph. For example, take a look at the first paragraph, 
They say that as the seasons move,
Our sorrow gently fades away;
But I am far from her I love
And sorrow deepens every day.
I also noticed some alliteration going on throughout this poem such as the line "Blow, breezes, blow". 

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 46 The Rainy Season by Romesh Dutt (1899) for the first half and Arthur William Ryder (1919) who wrote the poem at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment